REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On this engine, the cam followers (rocker arms) are part of the hydraulic valve lash adjustment assembly. The hydraulic lash adjusters are placed at the fulcrum point of the rocker arms and act in a manner similar to hydraulic lifters in pushrod motors. If inspection or replacement is necessary, the rocker arms are removed as part of lash adjuster removal. For details, please refer to the Valve Lifter procedures found later in this section.5.0L Engine
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
- Remove the upper intake manifold assembly. For details, please refer to the intake manifold procedures found later in this section.
- Remove the rocker arm covers.
- Except for the Cobra, loosen the rocker arm fulcrum bolt, then remove the bolt, fulcrum (seat), rocker arm and guide. KEEP ALL PARTS IN ORDER FOR INSTALLATION!
Label and/or arrange all rocker arm and fulcrum components to assure installation in their original locations.
- On the Cobra, loosen the fulcrum bolt, then remove the bolt, roller rocker arm assembly and pedestal assembly.
- Inspect the fulcrum bolts for damage. Replace any bolt on which damage is found.
- Inspect the rocker arm and fulcrum seat or roller contact surfaces for wear and/or damage. Also check the rocker arm for wear on the valve stem tip contact surface and the pushrod socket. Replace complete rocker arm assemblies, as necessary.
- Inspect the pushrod end and the valve stem tip. Replace pushrods, as necessary. If the valve stem tip is worn, the cylinder head must be removed to replace or machine the valve.
- Lubricate the rocker arms and fulcrum seats with heavy engine oil or pre-assembly lube before installation.
- Apply multi-purpose grease to the valve stem tips, the underside of the fulcrum seats and the sockets.
- Rotate the crankshaft until the tappet is on the base circle of the camshaft lobe (all the way down), then install the rocker arm assembly. Tighten the fulcrum bolt to 18-25 ft. lbs. (24-34 Nm).
- Install the rocker arm covers.
- Install the upper intake manifold assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.