See Figures 1 and 2
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The following applies to exhaust systems using clamped joints. Some models, use welded joints at the muffler. These joints will, of course, have to be cut.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely on jackstands.
- Remove the U-clamps securing the muffler and outlet pipe.
- Disconnect the muffler and outlet pipe bracket and insulator assemblies.
- Remove the muffler and outlet pipe assembly. It may be necessary to heat the joints to get the parts to come off. Special tools are available to aid in breaking loose the joints.
- Remove the extension pipe.
- Disconnect the catalytic converter bracket and insulator assembly.
For rod and insulator type hangers, apply a soap solution to the insulator surface and rod ends to allow easier removal of the insulator from the rod end. Don't use oil-based or silicone-based solutions since they will allow the insulator to slip back off once it's installed.
- Remove the catalytic converter.
- Remove the inlet pipe assembly.
- Install the exhaust components making sure that every part of system is properly aligned before tightening any fasteners. Make sure all tabs are indexed and all parts are clear of surrounding body panels. Please refer to the accompanying illustrations for proper clearances and alignment.