REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
For injector and fuel manifold removal, follow the procedures under Intake Manifold in Engine & Engine Overhaul .5.0L Engine
See Figures 2 through 6
- Remove the upper intake manifold. Be sure to depressurize the fuel system before disconnecting any fuel lines.
- Disconnect the fuel supply and return line retaining clips.
- Disconnect the fuel chassis inlet and outlet fuel hoses from the fuel supply manifold.
- Remove the four fuel supply manifold retaining bolts.
- Carefully disengage the fuel rail assembly from the fuel injectors by lifting and gently rocking the rail.
- Remove the fuel injectors from the intake manifold by lifting while gently rocking them from side to side
- Place all removed components on a clean surface to prevent contamination by dirt or grease.
Never use silicone grease; it will clog the injector. All injectors and the fuel rail must be handled with extreme care to prevent damage to sealing areas and sensitive fuel metering orifices.
- Examine the injector O-rings for deterioration damage, replacing them as needed.
- Make sure the injector caps are clean and free from contamination or damage.
- Lubricate all O-rings with clean engine oil, then install the injectors into the fuel rail using a light twisting/pushing motion.
- Carefully install the fuel rail assembly and injectors into the lower intake manifold. Make certain to correctly position the insulators. Push down on the fuel rail to make sure the O-rings are seated.
- Hold the fuel rail assembly in place and install the retaining bolts finger tight. Then tighten the bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs (20-30 Nm).
- Connect the fuel supply and return lines.
- Connect the fuel injector wiring harness at the injectors.
- Connect the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator, if removed.
- Install the air intake and throttle body assembly.
- Run the engine and check for fuel leaks.