See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
The air cleaner is a paper element type. The paper cartridge should be replaced every 30,000 miles (48,000 km).
Check the air filter more often if the vehicle is operated under severe (especially dusty) conditions and replace or clean it as necessary.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Label, then disconnect all hoses and tubes connected to the air filter assembly.
- Remove the screws (2.3L) or release the clamps (5.0L) that attach the air cleaner lid to the housing.
Before removal, be sure to note the proper positioning of the element within the housing for installation purposes.
- Lift the cover from the housing to expose the element, then remove the filter element.
- Using a damp rag, clean all of the inside surfaces of the air cleaner body and cover.
- Install the air filter element (as noted during removal) and position the air cleaner cover on the housing.
- Install the screws or clamps that attach the air cleaner lid to the housing.
- Connect all hoses and tubes to the air filter assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.