REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and, if equipped, the air bag backup power supply.
The backup power supply allows air bag deployment if the battery or battery cables are damaged in an accident before the crash sensors close. The power supply is a capacitor that will leak down in approximately 15 minutes after the battery is disconnected or in one minute if the battery positive cable is grounded. The backup power supply must be disconnected before any service is performed on or around the air bag.
- On Mustangs equipped with a tilt column, remove the upper extension shroud by unsnapping the shroud retaining clip at the 9 o'clock position.
- Remove the trim shroud halves by removing the attaching screws. Remove the electrical connector from the key warning switch.
- Turn the ignition to the RUN position.
- Place a 1 / 8 in. (3mm) diameter wire pin or small drift punch in the hole in the casting surrounding the lock cylinder and depress the retaining pin while pulling out on the lock cylinder to remove it from the column housing.
- Turn the lock cylinder to the RUN position and depress the retaining pin. Insert the lock cylinder into its housing in the lock cylinder casting.
- Make sure that the cylinder is fully seated and aligned in the interlocking washer before turning the key to the OFF position. This action will permit the cylinder retaining pin to extend into the hole in the lock cylinder housing.
- Using the ignition key, rotate the cylinder to ensure the correct mechanical operation in all positions.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check for proper operation in P or N . Also make sure that the start circuit cannot be actuated in D or R positions and that the column is locked in the LOCK position.
- Connect the key warning buzzer electrical connector and install the trim shrouds, if required.