REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the distributor assembly from the engine. Remove the rotor. Remove the ignition module from the base, if equipped.
- Mark the armature and distributor gear for orientation during reassembly.
- Hold the distributor drive gear and remove the armature retaining screws. Remove the armature.
- Remove the distributor gear retaining pin and discard it.
- Place the distributor assembly in an arbor press. Press off the distributor gear from the shaft, using bearing removal tool D84L-950-A or equivalent.
- Clean and polish the shaft with emery paper. Wipe clean so that the shaft slides out freely from the distributor base. Remove the shaft.
- Remove the stator assembly retaining screws and remove the stator.
- Position the stator assembly over the bushing and press to secure. Place the stator connector in position. The tab should fit in the notch on the base and the fastening eyelets should align with the screw holes. Be certain the wires are placed away from moving parts.
- Install the stator retaining screws. Tighten to 15-35 inch lbs (1.7-4.0 Nm)
- Apply a light coat of engine oil to the distributor shaft, beneath the armature. Install the shaft.
- Position a 1 / 2 inch, deep-well socket over the shaft and place in the arbor press.
- Place the distributor gear on the shaft end. Make certain the mark on the armature aligns with the gear.
The hole in the shaft and gear must be properly aligned to ensure ease of the roll pin.
- Place a 5 / 8 in. deep-well socket over the shaft and gear; press the gear onto the shaft and install the roll pin.
- Install the armature. Tighten to 25-35 inch lbs. (2.8-4.0 Nm)
- Rotate the distributor shaft while checking for free movement
If the armature contacts the stator, replace the entire distributor
If equipped with a TFI module, proceed as follows:
- Wipe the back of the module and its mounting surface on the distributor clean. Coat the base of the TFI ignition module uniformly with a 1 / 32 inch coat of silicone compound. (Silicone di-electric compound WA-10 or equivalent)
- Invert the distributor base so that the stator connector is in full view. Insert the module. Be certain the three module pins are inserted into the stator connector.
- Install the module retaining screws and tighten to 15-35 inch lbs. (1.7-4.0 Nm).
- Install the distributor assembly into the engine block. Install the cap and wires.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Recheck the initial timing. Adjust if necessary.