REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The front ABS sensor rings are an integral part of the front wheel bearing/hub assembly. The ring cannot be separated from the bearing/hub assembly and, if faulty, the entire assembly must be replaced with a good one. Wheel bearing/hub removal and installation is presented in Suspension & Steering .Rear
See Figures 1 through 6
Once the rear ABS sensor indicator ring is removed from the axle shaft, it cannot be reused. Also, the sensor ring must be pressed off of the axle shaft using a large hydraulic press.
- Remove the rear axle shaft from the same side of the vehicle as the sensor ring needing to be removed.
- Position the axle shaft in a hydraulic press, as indicated in the accompanying illustration, then press the sensor ring off of the shaft.
- Discard the sensor ring.
- Position Ford Sensing Ring Installer T89P-20202-A, or equivalent, on the press with the pilot ring facing up.
- Position the new sensor ring on the installer tool, as indicated in the accompanying illustration. Ensure that it is oriented correctly.
- Insert the inner end of the axle shaft through the sensor ring until it rests on the ring.
- Position a flat piece of steel on the axle shaft flange, as shown in the illustration.
- Press the axle shaft into the sensor ring until the outer face of the sensor ring is 1.25-1.35 in. (3.18-3.43cm) from the outer face of the axle shaft flange.
- Install the axle shaft.