REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise and safely support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the driveshaft from the vehicle, as described later in this section.
Avoid damaging (scratching, gouging, etc.) the oil seal bore in the extension housing; otherwise, oil leaks may occur after the new seal is installed.
- Use a seal removal tool (such as Ford Seal Remover T74P-77248-A) to draw the old seal out of the extension housing. It may also be possible to use a prytool oil seal removal tool; however, this method is not recommended by the manufacturer.
- Use an extension housing seal installation tool (such as Ford Tool T61L-7657-B) to seat the new oil seal in the extension housing. Ensure that the seal is installed so that it is not cocked in the housing and that it is fully seated.
- Install the driveshaft.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Warm the engine to normal operating temperature and check the transmission fluid level; add fluid if necessary.