REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 4.6L DOHC Engine
See Figures 1 through 7
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove 4 Torx® head screws holding the voltage regulator to the alternator rear housing. Remove the regulator, with the brush and terminal holder attached.
- Hold the regulator in one hand and pry off the cap covering the A terminal screw head with a small prybar.
- Remove 2 Torx® head screws retaining the regulator to the brush holder. Separate the regulator from the brush holder.
- Install the brush holder on the regulator with 2 retaining screws. Tighten the screws to 25-35 inch lbs. (2.8-4.0 Nm).
- Install the cap on the head of the A terminal screw.
- Depress the brushes into the holder and hold the brushes in position by inserting a standard size paper clip, or equivalent tool, through both the location hole in the regulator and through the holes in the brushes.
- Install the regulator/brush holder assembly and remove the paper clip. Install the attaching screws and tighten to 20-30 inch lbs. (2.3-3.4 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
The internal voltage regulator in alternators used with 4.6L DOHC engines is not removable or serviceable in any way. If the voltage regulator is found to be defective, a new alternator must be installed.