The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is a magnetic pick-up that sends a signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The sensor measures the rotation of the transmission and the PCM determines the corresponding vehicle speed.
See Figures 1 and 2
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
- Disengage the wiring harness connector from the VSS.
- Using a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter (DVOM), measure the resistance (ohmmeter function) between the sensor terminals. If the resistance is 190-250 ohms, the sensor is okay.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 3, 4 and 5
The VSS is located half-way down the right-hand side of the transmission assembly.
- Apply the parking brake, block the rear wheels, then raise and safely support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.
- From under the right-hand side of the vehicle, disengage the wiring harness connector from the VSS.
- Loosen the VSS hold-down bolt, then pull the VSS out of the transmission housing.