REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 23.8L Engine
- If necessary, remove the engine oil filter.
- Remove the oil pump and filter body-to-engine front cover retaining bolts, then separate the oil pump from the front cover.
- Inspect the oil pump sealing O-ring for damage or distortion.
- Position the oil pump on the engine front cover, then install the mounting bolts.
- Tighten the four large bolts to 17-23 ft. lbs. (23-32 Nm) and the two small bolts to 71-97 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- If necessary, install a new engine oil filter. Make sure to coat the new oil filter's gasket with a film of clean engine oil. Tighten the oil filter according to the manufacturer's instructions.
See Figure 3
- For the SOHC engine, remove the valve covers.
- Remove the engine front cover.
- Remove the oil pan, and oil pump screen cover and pick-up tube.
- Remove the timing chain(s).
- For the DOHC engine, remove the crankshaft sprockets.
- Remove the four oil pump mounting bolts, then separate the oil pump from the engine block.
- Rotate the inner rotor of the oil pump to align it with the flats on the crankshaft, then install the oil pump on the engine block.
- Install the four mounting bolts and tighten them to 71-106 inch lbs. (8-12 Nm).
- Install a new engine oil filter. Make sure to coat the new oil filter's gasket with a film of clean engine oil. Tighten the oil filter according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- If applicable, install the crankshaft sprockets.
- Install the timing chain.
- Install the oil pump screen cover and pick-up tube.
- Install the oil pan.
- Install the engine front cover.
- If applicable, install the valve covers.
- Fill the engine with the proper amount and type of clean engine oil.
- Start the engine and check for oil leaks.
- After 3-5 minutes, stop the engine.
- Wait 10 minutes, then check the oil level with the dipstick. Add more oil, if necessary.
See Figure 4
The oil pump and pick-up tube assembly must be unbolted and positioned in the oil pan, in order to remove the pan while the engine is installed in the vehicle.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
- Remove the oil pan, along with the oil pump and pick-up tube assembly on all but early model 2.3L engines.
- If not done for pan removal, loosen the retainers, then remove the oil pump pick-up (inlet) tube and screen assembly, along with the oil pump assembly.
- Prime the oil pump by filling either the inlet or outlet ports with engine oil and rotating the pump shaft to distribute the oil within the pump body.
- Position the intermediate driveshaft into the distributor socket. With the shaft firmly seated in the distributor socket, the stop on the shaft should touch the roof of the crankcase. Remove the shaft and position the stop, as necessary.
Remember, that on most vehicles covered by this guide, you will have to position the oil pan over the crossmember (with the pump in the pan), then raise the pump into position and install.
- Position a new gasket on the pump body, insert the intermediate shaft into the oil pump and install the pump and shaft as an assembly.
Do not attempt to force the pump or shaft into position if it will not seat readily. The driveshaft hex may be misaligned with the distributor shaft. To align, rotate the intermediate shaft into a new position.
- Tighten the oil pump attaching screws to 14-21 ft. lbs. (19-29 Nm) on the 2.3L engine and 22-32 ft. lbs. (30-43 Nm) on the 5.0L engine.
- If separated, clean and install the oil pump inlet tube and screen assembly.
- Install the oil pan.
- Connect the negative battery cable.