REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 5
The aid of an assistant is necessary to safely lift the trunk lid off of the vehicle.
- Open and support the trunk lid. You can use part of an old broom handle or other 3-4 ft. (1m) long piece of wood.
- Position fender covers or old blankets over both rear fenders to protect the paint in case the trunk lid accidentally strikes the painted surface of the fenders.
- If equipped, label and disengage the inside trunk lid lamp wiring harness connector.
- Matchmark the trunk lid-to-hinge positions to make aligning the trunk lid easier during installation.
Remove both trunk lid support cylinders as follows:
- At the lower end of the support cylinder, use a small pick or prytool to disengage the retaining clip by pulling it out from the cylinder attachment joint housing.
- Detach the lower end of the cylinder by pulling the cylinder end away from the mounting ball until it disengages.
- Disconnect the upper end of the support cylinder in the same manner.
- Remove the cylinder from the vehicle.
- Remove the other support cylinder in the same manner.
- If the ball studs are damaged and require replacement, they can be removed by loosening them like a conventional bolt. Install the new ball stud and tighten it securely with an open-end wrench.
- Have an assistant steady the trunk lid while you remove the trunk lid-to-hinge bolts.
- Once the bolts are removed, carefully lift the trunk lid (with the help or your assistant) and position it aside. You may wish to place it on a soft, protective surface such as carpet remnants or clean rags.
- With the aid of your helper, position the trunk lid on the vehicle so that the hinge-to-hood mounting holes are aligned.
- Ask your helper to hold the trunk lid steady while you install the retaining bolts finger-tight.
- If the original trunk lid is being installed, position it so that the hinge matchmarks are aligned. If a replacement trunk lid is being installed, align it with the rear fenders and the upper, rear bumper assembly. The gap around the trunk lid should be uniform in width.
If, after the original trunk lid is installed and the matchmarks are aligned, the perimeter gap is not uniform, adjust the trunk lid until it is.
- Once the trunk lid is properly aligned, tighten the trunk lid-to-hinge nuts to 44-75 inch lbs. (5-8 Nm).
- Close and open the trunk lid several times slowly and carefully to ensure that there is not binding or interference between the trunk lid, the fenders and the upper bumper panel. If there is interference or binding, realign the trunk lid until these conditions no longer exist.
Open the trunk lid and support it with the piece of wood used earlier. Reattach the trunk lid support cylinders as follows:
- Position the upper end of the support cylinder over the mounting ball stud on the side of the trunk lid, then press it toward the trunk lid until it snaps in place. Push the retaining clip in until it is fully seated.
- Position the lower end of the support cylinder over the mounting ball stud on the side of the trunk opening, then depress it until it snaps in place. Push the retaining clip in until it is fully seated.
- Install the other support cylinder in the same manner.
- If applicable, reconnect the inside trunk lid lamp wiring harness.
Side-to-side and fore-aft adjustments can be made by loosening the trunk lid-to-hinge attachment bolts.
- Open the trunk lid and loosen the hinge-to-lid mounting bolts until the trunk lid can be moved.
- Adjust the position of the trunk lid and tighten the mounting bolts snugly, then close the trunk lid gently and check its alignment with the fenders and the upper bumper panel. The gap around the perimeter of the trunk lid should be uniform.
- Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until the trunk lid is properly positioned, then tighten the trunk lid-to-hinge bolts to 44-75 inch lbs. (5-8 Nm).
Trunk lid vertical fit can be adjusted by installing shims of varying thicknesses between the trunk lid and the hinges.
- Inspect the level of the trunk lid in relation to the fender level. If it is not flush with the fenders, remove the trunk lid and install shims between the trunk lid and the hinges to align it. Then, install the trunk lid.
- Close the trunk lid once again to ensure that it is properly adjusted side-to-side, fore-and-aft, and up-and-down. Realign it, if necessary.