REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 10
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the instrument panel.
Remove the heater case assembly as follows:
- Position a drain pan under the heater water hose connections at the cowl panel.
- Detach the coolant hoses from the heater core tubes, then plug the smaller coolant hose with a 5 / 8 in. plug and the larger hose with a 3 / 4 in. plug.
- Cap the heater core tubes to prevent coolant spillage during heater case removal.
- Detach and label the heater case vacuum hose from the engine vacuum connector.
- Remove the heater case-to-cowl panel mounting nut (in the engine compartment) and screw (located at the bottom of the heater case in the passenger compartment).
- Remove the nut and screw retaining the heater case mounting bracket to the cowl top panel.
- Disengage the wiring harness connector from the blower motor.
- Carefully pull the heater case away from the cowl panel, then remove the case from the vehicle as an assembly.
- Position the heater case on a clean, stable workbench.
- Remove the heater core cover retaining screws, then remove the heater core cover from the heater case.
- Remove the heater dash panel seal from the heater core tubes, then separate the heater core from the case.
- Install a new heater core case seal, then position the heater core in the case.
- Slide the new heater dash panel seal onto the heater core tubes, then position the cover over the heater core. Install the cover mounting screws and tighten them until snug.
Install the heater case assembly as follows:
- Position the heater case on the cowl panel of the vehicle, making sure that all hoses and tubes are properly routed through the cowl panel into the engine compartment, then install the case-to-top mounting bracket nut. Tighten the nut to 90-122 inch lbs. (10-14 Nm).
- Install the case-to-top mounting bracket screw, and tighten it to 90-122 inch lbs. (10-14 Nm).
- Install the lower case-to-cowl panel retaining screw, and tighten it until snug.
- From inside the engine compartment, install the case-to-cowl panel retaining nut, and tighten it until snug.
- Reattach the vacuum supply hose in the engine compartment.
- Attach the two coolant hoses to the heater core tubes.
- Install the instrument panel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill the engine cooling system as required.