See Figure 1
Breakaway mounts are used with the inside rear view mirrors in 1994-98 Mustangs. The breakaway mounts are designed to detach from the mirror bracket in the event of an air bag deployment during a collision. Excessive force, up-and-down, or side-to-side movement can cause the mirror to detach from the windshield glass.
- Loosen the mirror assembly-to-mounting bracket setscrew.
- Remove the mirror assembly by sliding it upward and away from the mounting bracket.
- If the bracket vinyl pad remains on the windshield, apply low heat from an electric heat gun until the vinyl softens. Peel the vinyl off the windshield and discard.
- Make sure the glass, bracket and adhesive kit (such as Ford's Rear View Mirror Repair Kit D9AZ-19554-B or equivalent) are at least at a room temperature of 65-75° F (18-24° C).
- Locate and mark the mirror mounting bracket location on the outside surface of the windshield with a wax pencil.
- Thoroughly clean the bonding surfaces of the glass and bracket to remove the old adhesive. Use a mild abrasive cleaner on the glass and fine sandpaper on the bracket to lightly roughen the surface. Wipe it clean with the alcohol-moistened cloth.
- Crush the accelerator vial (part of Rear View Mirror Repair Kit D9AZ-19554-B or equivalent), and apply the accelerator to the bonding surface of the bracket and windshield. Let it dry for three minutes.
- Apply two drops of adhesive (from Rear View Mirror Repair Kit D9AZ-19554-B or equivalent) to the mounting surface of the bracket. Using a clean toothpick or wooden match, quickly spread the adhesive evenly over the mounting surface of the bracket.
- Quickly position the mounting bracket on the windshield. The 3 / 8 in. (10mm) circular depression in the bracket must be toward the inside of the passenger compartment. Press the bracket firmly against the windshield for one minute.
- Allow the bond to set for five minutes. Remove any excess bonding material from the windshield with an alcohol dampened cloth.
- Attach the mirror to the mounting bracket and tighten the setscrew to 10-20 inch lbs. (1-2 Nm).