All models covered by this guide are equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, air bag module, steering column or instrument panel, disconnect the negative, then the positive battery cables and wait at least one minute. Disconnecting the battery cables and waiting one minute will allow any residual power in the system to drain. Failure to properly disconnect both battery cables may result in accidental air bag deployment, which could easily result in severe personal injury or death. Also, never attempt any electrical diagnosis or service to the SRS components and wiring; this work should only be performed by a qualified automotive technician.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- To prevent accidental air bag deployment, disconnect the negative battery cable, then the positive battery cable to allow residual energy in the air bag system to drain.
- Remove the steering column shroud(s).
- Disengage the wiring harness connector from the ignition switch.
- Insert the key into the ignition switch, then rotate the ignition key lock cylinder to the RUN position.
- Remove the two screws attaching the ignition switch.
- Disengage the ignition switch from the actuator pin and remove the switch.
A new ignition switch purchased from Ford will already be set in the RUN position.
- Adjust the new ignition switch by sliding the carrier to the RUN position.
- Check to ensure that the ignition key lock cylinder is in the RUN position. The RUN position is achieved by rotating the key lock cylinder approximately 90 degrees from the LOCK position.
- Install the ignition switch onto the actuator pin.
- Align the switch mounting holes and install the attaching screws. Tighten the screws to 50-69 inch lbs. (6-8 Nm).
- Attach the electrical connector to the ignition switch.
- Connect the positive, then the negative battery cables. Check the ignition switch for proper function in START and ACC positions. Make sure the column is locked in the LOCK position.
- Install the steering column shroud(s).