Removal & Installation
The front ABS sensor rings are an integral part of the front wheel bearing/hub assembly. The ring cannot be separated from the bearing/hub assembly and, if faulty, the entire assembly must be replaced with a good one. Refer to the Wheel Hub and Bearing removal and installation procedure in the Front Suspension section of this manual.
- Remove the front hub and bearing assembly.
Using the special tools, remove the front wheel speed sensor ring from the front hub.
Using the special tool, install the front wheel speed sensor ring to the front hub.
- Install the front hub
- Remove the rear axle shaft from the same side of the vehicle as the sensor ring needing to be removed.
- Position the axle shaft in a hydraulic press, as indicated in the accompanying illustration, then press the sensor ring off of the shaft.
Discard the sensor ring.
- Position Ford Sensing Ring Installer T89P-20202-A, or equivalent, on the press with the pilot ring facing up.
- Position the new sensor ring on the installer tool, as indicated in the accompanying illustration. Ensure that it is oriented correctly.
- Insert the inner end of the axle shaft through the sensor ring until it rests on the ring.
Position a flat piece of steel on the axle shaft flange, as shown in the illustration.
- Press the axle shaft into the sensor ring to proper depth of 0.002 in. (0.051mm)
- Install the axle shaft.