The coolant temperature sender is located in the following positions:
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the radiator cap (except 4.6L engines) or the degas bottle cap (4.6L engines) to relieve any system pressure.
- Disconnect the wiring at the sender.
Unscrew and remove the coolant temperature sender from the engine.
NOTEOn 4.0L engines the coolant temperature sensor is retained with a clip rather than screwed in.
Coat the threads on the sender with Teflon® tape or electrically conductive sealer, then install the sender. Tighten the sender to:
- 3.8 and 4.6L SOHC engines: 107-143 inch lbs. (12-16 Nm).
- 4.6L DOHC engine: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Attach the wiring to the sender and connect the negative battery cable.
- If necessary, add antifreeze to replace any lost coolant, then install the radiator cap.