Removal & Installation
The 3.8L and 4.0L engines utilizes one coil pack containing three separate coils, and the 4.6L engines use two coil packs containing two separate coils each. The 2005 4.6L VIN X engine uses a coil on plug consisting of eight separate ignition coils (one for each spark plug).
Except VIN X Engines
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Unplug the electrical harness connector from the ignition coil pack.
- Label and remove the spark plug wires from the ignition coil terminal towers by squeezing the locking tabs to release the coil boot retainers.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable retaining clamp from the ignition coil stud bolt (if equipped).
Remove the coil pack mounting screws and remove the coil pack.
Install the coil pack and the retaining screws. Tighten the retaining screws to 40-62 inch lbs. (4.5-7 Nm).
NOTEBe sure to place some dielectric compound into each spark plug boot prior to installation of the spark plug wire.
- Attach the spark plug wires and electrical harness connector to the coil pack.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Disconnect the ignition coil electrical connectors.
Remove the ignition coil bolts.
Tightening torque 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
NOTEWhen removing the ignition coils, a slight twisting motion will break the seal and ease removal.
- Tightening torque 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Remove the ignition coils.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
NOTEApply a light film of silicone brake caliper grease and dielectric compound to the inside of the coil boots before installation.
Observe the following tightening torques:
Ignition coil bolts 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).