Removal & Installation
- To prevent accidental air bag deployment, disconnect the negative battery cable, then the positive battery cable to allow residual energy in the air bag system to drain.
- Remove the steering column shroud(s).
- Disengage the wiring harness connector from the ignition switch.
- Insert the key into the ignition switch, then rotate the ignition key lock cylinder to the RUN position.
- Remove the two screws attaching the ignition switch.
- Disengage the ignition switch from the actuator pin and remove the switch.
- Adjust the new ignition switch by sliding the carrier to the RUN position.
- Check to ensure that the ignition key lock cylinder is in the RUN position. The RUN position is achieved by rotating the key lock cylinder approximately 90 degrees from the LOCK position.
- Install the ignition switch onto the actuator pin.
- Align the switch mounting holes and install the attaching screws. Tighten the screws to 50-69 inch lbs. (6-8 Nm).
- Attach the electrical connector to the ignition switch.
- Connect the positive, then the negative battery cables. Check the ignition switch for proper function in START and ACC positions. Make sure the column is locked in the LOCK position.
- Install the steering column shroud(s).
- Disarm the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS).
- Remove the upper steering column shroud by carefully pressing the sides inward.
- Remove the 3 screws and the lower steering column shroud.
- Disconnect the ignition switch electrical connector.
- Release the 2 locking tabs and remove the ignition switch.
- To install, reverse of the removal procedure.
Rearm the SRS, as outlined in Chassis Electrical.