REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 1987-88 Mustang
- Remove the switch knob from the switch shaft by placing a screwdriver blade between the knob spring retainer and the control panel assembly. Pull on the screwdriver, applying gentle pressure on the spring retainer, and pull the knob off the switch shaft.
- Remove the three screws which attach the upper edge of the instrument cluster trim panel to the instrument panel, then remove the trim panel.
- Disconnect the temperature control cable from the evaporator case.
- Remove the four screws which attach the control panel assembly to the instrument panel, and carefully pull the control panel away from the instrument panel.
- Remove the screw attaching the switch to the control panel assembly. Separate the switch from the control panel then disconnect the wire connector from the switch.
- Connect the wiring harness connector to the switch and position the switch to the control panel assembly. Be sure that the locating pin is inserted in the hole of the switch mounting bracket, then install the switch attaching screw.
- Position the control panel assembly to the instrument panel opening. Be sure that the locating pins at the top and bottom of the control panel assembly are inserted into the locating pin holes in the instrument panel.
- Install the four screws which attach the control panel assembly to the instrument panel.
- Install the instrument cluster trim panel and push the switch knob onto the switch shaft.
Connect the temperature cable to the evaporator case and adjust the cable as follows:
- Move the temperature selector lever to the COOL position.
- Hold the temperature door crank arm firmly in position, and insert the blade of a small pocket screwdriver into the wire end loop. Pull the cable wire through the self-adjusting clip until there is approximately one inch of space between the clip and the wire end loop.
- Move the temperature selector lever to the top of the slot to position the self-adjusting clip.
- Check for proper control operation.
- Remove the control panel assembly, as previously described.
- Pull the control knob off its shaft. If the D-shaped spring clip remains on the shaft, remove the clip with needlenose pliers and install it in the knob.
- Remove the retaining screw and rotate the blower switch counterclockwise to clear the upper retaining flange. Slide the switch upward and out of its lower retaining flange.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.