REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 1987-88 Mustang
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the three retaining screws securing the top edge of the instrument cluster trim panel and remove the trim panel.
- Disconnect the temperature control cable from the evaporator case.
- Remove the four retaining screws securing the control panel assembly to the instrument panel. Pull the assembly out from the instrument panel for access to the electrical wire harness connectors and the control housing attachments.
- Remove the push nut retaining the cable to the control arm and disconnect the temperature cable from the control panel assembly.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors from the control panel assembly.
- Disconnect the control illumination wires at their harness.
- Remove the push nuts retaining the vacuum harness connector to the control panel assembly, and disconnect the vacuum harness connector.
- Remove the control panel assembly.
- Engage the vacuum harness connector to the control panel assembly and install two push nuts.
Push on the vacuum harness retaining nuts; do not try to screw them on!
- Engage the wire connectors to the control panel assembly.
- Connect the illumination wires to their harness.
- Connect the temperature control cable to the control panel assembly and install the push nut.
- Position the control panel assembly to the instrument panel opening. Be sure that the locator pins at the top and bottom of the control panel assembly are inserted into the locator pin holes in the instrument panel.
- Install and tighten the four control panel assembly retaining screws.
- Install the four lower locking tabs of the instrument cluster trim panel into the tab slots at the lower edge of the instrument panel cluster area, and press the instrument cluster trim panel into position.
- Install and tighten the three instrument cluster trim panel retaining screws.
- Connect the temperature control cable to the evaporator case. If necessary, adjust the cable as described later in this section.
- Test the system for proper operation.
See Figures 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the snap-in trim moulding in the floor console to expose four control panel attaching screws.
- Remove the 4 control panel assembly-to-instrument panel screws.
- Pull the control panel assembly towards you.
- Disconnect the fan switch connectors and temperature control cable.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose connector and electrical connector from the rear of the function selector knob.
- Disengage the electrical connector for the control panel's illumination bulbs.
- Remove the control assembly.
- Connect the temperature control cable to the geared arm on the temperature control system bracket.
- Engage the electrical connectors for the fan switch, function selector knob and illumination bulbs.
- Install the vacuum harness connector to the function and temperature control valve assembly.
If so equipped, push on the vacuum harness retaining nuts; do not try to screw them on!
- Position the control panel assembly in the instrument panel opening and install the 4 screws.
- Install the control opening finish panel by snapping it into place.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the system for proper operation.