Vehicles with a floor mounted shifter incorporate the back-up light switch into the neutral safety switch. For those vehicles, see the Neutral Safety Switch section, above.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Column Mounted Shifter
- Working under the instrument panel, disconnect the wiring at the switch.
- Remove the 2 screws securing the switch to the steering column and remove the switch.
- Check the column to make sure that the metal switch actuator is secured to the shift tube and that it is seated as far as possible forward against the shift tube bearing. Also check for a broken or damaged actuator.
- When installing the new switch, align the hole in the switch with the hole in the bracket and insert a No. 43 drill through the holes.
- Place the shift lever in the DRIVE position and hold it against the detent. Install and tighten the switch mounting screws.
- Remove the drill bit and connect the wires.