REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Quick-Connect (push) type fuel fittings are used on most models equipped with a pressurized fuel system. The fittings must be disconnected using proper procedures or the fitting may be damaged. Two types of retainers are used on the push connect fittings. Line sizes of 3 / 8 in. and 5 / 16 in. use a hairpin clip retainer, and 1 / 4 in. line connectors use a duck bill clip retainer.Hairpin Clip
See Figure 1
- Clean all dirt and/or grease from the fitting. Using finger pressure only, spread the two clip legs about 1 / 8 in. (3mm) each to disengage from the fitting, and pull the clip outward from the fitting. In order to avoid damage or breakage, do not use any tools.
- Grasp the fitting and hose assembly and pull away from the steel line. Twist the fitting and hose assembly slightly while pulling, if necessary, when a sticking condition exists.
- It is recommended that the original clip not be reused in the fitting. Insert a new clip into any two adjacent openings with the triangular portion pointing away from the fitting opening. Push on the clip to fully engage the body, so that the legs of the clip lock onto the outside of the body.
- Inspect the fitting and inside of the connector to insure freedom of dirt or obstruction. Install the fitting into the connector and push together. A click will be heard when the hairpin clip makes a proper connection. Pull on the line to insure full engagement.
See Figures 2 and 3
- The preferred method of clip removal requires a special tool, Ford Tool No. T82L-9500-AH or equivalent. (If the tool is not available, proceed to Step 2). Align the slot on the push connect disconnection tool with either tab on the retaining clip. Insert the tool to disengage the clip and pull the line from the connector.
- If the special clip tool is not available, use a pair of narrow 6 in. (152mm) locking pliers with a jaw width of 0.2 in. (5mm) or less. Align the jaws of the pliers with the openings of the fitting case and compress the part of the retaining clip that engages the case. Compressing the retaining clip will release the fitting, which may be pulled from the connector. Both sides of the clip must be compressed at the same time to disengage.
- It is recommended that the retaining clip not be reused. Insert one of a new retaining clip's serrated edges on the duck bill portion into one of the window openings of the body. Push on the other side until the clip snaps into place.
- Push the line into the steel connector until a click is heard, indicating that the clip is in place. Pull on the line to insure full engagement.