If any of the sub-assemblies are to be serviced and/or removed, with the fuel charging assembly mounted to the engine, the following steps must be taken.
- Make sure the ignition key is in the off position.
- Drain the coolant from the radiator.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel cap to relieve fuel tank pressure.
- Relieve the pressure from the fuel system at the pressure relief valve. Special tool T80L-9974-A or equivalent is needed for this procedure.
- Disconnect the fuel supply line.
- Identify and disconnect the fuel return lines and vacuum connections.
- Disconnect the injector wiring harness by disconnecting the ECT sensor in the heater supply tube, under the lower intake manifold.
- Disconnect the air bypass connector from the EEC harness.
Not all assemblies may be serviceable while on the engine. In some cases, removal of the fuel charging assembly may facilitate service of the various sub-assemblies. To remove the entire fuel charging assembly, the following should be observed.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the engine air cleaner outlet tube between the vane air meter and air throttle body by loosening the two clamps.
- Disconnect and remove the accelerator and speed control cables (if so equipped) from the accelerator mounting bracket and throttle lever.
Disconnect the top manifold vacuum fitting connections by disconnecting:
- Rear vacuum line at the dash panel vacuum tree.
- Front vacuum line at the air cleaner and fuel pressure regulator.
Disconnect the PCV system by removing the following:
- Two large forward facing connectors on the throttle body and intake manifold.
- Throttle body port hose at the straight plastic connector.
- Canister purge line at the straight plastic connector.
- PCV hose at the valve cover.
- Unbolt the PCV separator support bracket from the cylinder head and remove the PCV system.
- Disconnect the EGR tube from the upper intake manifold by removing the two flange nuts.
- Remove the dipstick and its tube.
- Remove the fuel return line.
- Remove the six manifold retaining bolts.
- Remove the manifold with the wiring harness and gasket.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the manifold bolts 12-15 ft. lbs.