REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Open the drain cock and drain the radiator so the coolant level is below the coolant outlet elbow which houses the thermostat.
On some models it will be necessary to remove the distributor cap, rotor and vacuum diaphragm in order to gain access to the thermostat housing mounting bolts.
- Remove the outlet elbow retaining bolts and position the elbow sufficiently clear of the intake manifold or cylinder head to provide access to the thermostat.
- Remove the thermostat and the gasket.
- Clean the mating surfaces of the outlet elbow and the engine to remove all old gasket material and sealer. Coat the new gasket with water-resistant sealer. Position the gasket on the engine, and install the thermostat in the coolant elbow. The thermostat must be rotated clockwise to lock it into position on all 8-255 and 8-302 engines.
- Install the outlet elbow and retaining bolts on the engine. Torque the bolts to specification.
- Refill the radiator. Run the engine at operating temperature and check for leaks. Recheck the coolant level.