Replacement of the cover seal is recommended any time the front cover is removed. It is possible on the 4-140 engine to replace the front cover seal with the cover installed.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the front seal from the cover with the cover on the engine, using a special seal removal tool (Ford part no. T74P-6700-B or equivalent).
- Remove the timing belt outer cover, as described in the following section on Timing Belt Removal & Installation, if engine disassembly is indicated.
- If removed, install the cover on the engine without the seal. Be sure to overlap the front and side pan gaskets. Do not tighten the attaching bolts.
- Using a special seal installer tool (Ford part no. T74P-6150-A or equivalent), press the seal into place.
- Properly position the cover in relation to the crankshaft, and tighten the attaching bolts to 6-9 ft. lbs.