REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Drain the cooling system and crankcase. Remove the oil pan and radiator.
- Remove the water pump and drive belt.
- Remove the timing gear cover and camshaft timing gear.
- Use a gear puller to remove the crankshaft gear. Remove the key from the crankshaft.
- Align the keyway in the camshaft timing gear with the key, and slide the gear onto the shaft, making sure that it seats tightly against the spacer.
- Check the camshaft end-play. If it is not within specifications, replace the thrust plate.
- Position the key in the crankshaft. Align the keyway in the crankshaft gear with the key in the crankshaft, and align the timing marks. Install the gear with the use of two wrenches and a special tool designed to press the gear onto the shaft.
- Install the timing gear cover and seal, as described previously in this section.
- Install the water pump and drive belt. Adjust the drive belt to its proper tension.
- Install the oil pan and radiator.
- Fill the cooling system with coolant and the crankcase with oil.