On engines with fuel injection, relieve the pressure from the fuel system before disconnecting any fuel line. On 6-232 and 8-302 engines with CFI, relieve the system pressure at the pressure relief valve mounted on the throttle body and drain the system through the drain tube. (Special tool T80L-9974-A, or its equivalent, is needed for this procedure.) On the 4-140 engine with EFI, this valve is located in the flexible fuel supply tube, approximately 12 in. (305mm) back from where it connects to the engine fuel rail on the driver's side of the engine compartment.On the 8-302 engine with SEFI, the valve is located in the metal engine fuel line at the left front corner of the engine.Before opening the fuel system on an EFI or SEFI engine, relieve fuel system pressure as described earlier in this section.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the rear end on jackstands.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Siphon off as much gasoline as possible into an approved container.
On fuel injected vehicles, the fuel tank has small reservoirs inside to maintain the fuel level at or near the fuel pick-up. These reservoirs are difficult to drain since they may block the siphoning hose. You will have to try different angles and repeated attempts with the siphoning hose. Be patient.
- Place a pan under the fuel fill hose and disconnect the fuel filler hose at the tank. Pour any drained fuel into an approved container.
- Place a floor jack, cushioned with a length of wood, under the fuel tank.
- Remove the fuel tank strap nuts and lower the fuel tank just enough to disconnect the fuel liquid and vapor lines, and the fuel sending unit wire.Remove the air deflector from the tank retaining straps. The deflector is retained with pop rivets.On cars equipped with a metal retainer which fastens the filler pipe to the tank, remove the screw attaching the retainer to the fuel tank flange.
- Continue lowering the tank once all lines are disconnected, and remove it from the car.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. The fuel vapor line should be taped in position in the ribbed channel atop the tank.