REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 1987-88 Mustang
See Figures 1 and 2
- Using the control cable disconnect tool T83P-18532-AH or equivalent, detach the control cable bullet connector from the applicable heater case cable housing mounting bracket (function cable-white; temperature cable-black).
- Slide the self-adjusting cable attaching clip off the end of the crank arm.
- Remove the control panel assembly and disengage the cable(s), as described later in this section.
- Connect the cable(s) to the control panel assembly and install, as described later in this section.
- Slide the self-adjusting cable attaching clip over the end of the heater case's door crank arm until it seats on the tab stop.
- Insert the control cable bullet connector into the cable bracket hole until the locking tabs are fully engaged.
- Adjust the control cable(s) as follows:
The function and temperature control cables are self-adjusting with the movement of the respective control levers to the top of their slots in the face of the control panel assembly. To prevent kinking of the control cable wire(s), the following preset adjustment should be made.
- Move the control lever (temperature or function control) to the COOL or OFF position.
- Hold the crank arm firmly in position, and insert the blade of a small pocket screwdriver into the wire end loop. Pull the cable wire through the self-adjusting clip until there is approximately one inch of space between the clip and the wire end loop.
- Move the control lever to the top of the slot in order to position the self-adjusting clip.
- Check for proper control operation.
- Repeat steps 7a-7d for the other control cable, if applicable.
- Remove the control panel assembly from the instrument panel, as described later in this section.
- Disengage the temperature control cable from the cable actuator on the control panel assembly.
- Disconnect the temperature cable from the plenum temperature blend door crank arm and cable mounting bracket.
- Note the cable routing and remove the cable.
- Check to ensure that the self-adjusting clip is approximately one inch from the end loop of the control cable.
- Route the control cable behind the instrument panel and connect the cable to the mounting bracket on the plenum.
- Install the self-adjusting clip on the temperature blend door crank arm.
- Engage the cable end with the cable actuator on the control panel assembly.
- Install the control panel assembly in the instrument panel.
- Turn the temperature control knob fully to the right (WARM setting) in order to position the self-adjusting clip on the control cable.
- Check the temperature control knob for proper operation.
- Check the system for proper operation.