REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 1987-88 Mustang
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the three retaining screws securing the top edge of the instrument cluster bezel and remove the instrument cluster bezel for access to the control panel assembly.
- Remove the four retaining screws securing the control panel assembly to the instrument panel and pull the assembly rearward from the instrument panel for access to the electrical wire harness connectors and the control housing attachments.
- Disengage the function and temperature control cable assemblies from the heater case assembly.
- Disconnect the blower speed switch and the control illumination wire harness connectors.
- Remove the control panel assembly with the control cables.
- Remove the push nut retaining the the function cable end loop or the function control lever.
- Depress the white locking tang on the end of the function control cable housing then disengage the function control cable with housing assembly from the function lever tang and the frame of the control assembly.
- Remove the push nut retaining the temperature cable end loop or the temperature control lever.
- Depress the black locking tang on the end of the temperature control cable housing assembly, then disengage the function control cable with housing assembly from the temperature lever tang and frame of the control panel assembly.
- Slip the end wire loop of the temperature control cable and housing assembly over the tang on the rear of the temperature control lever. (The wire loop coil should face outward, away from the base of the tang on the temperature control lever.) Slide the cable housing end into the bracket of the control assembly frame until the locking tang snaps into position then install the push nut to retain the cable end loop on the lever.
- Repeat step 10 for connection of the function control cable and housing assembly.
- Feed the control cables through the panel opening and position the control panel assembly near the instrument panel opening.
- Connect the wire harness connectors for the control illumination and the blower speed switch.
- Align the upper and lower alignment tabs on the back of the control panel assembly with the upper hole and lower slot of the instrument panel, then position the control assembly onto the instrument panel.
- Install and tighten the four control panel assembly retaining screws.
- Install the four lower locking tabs of the instrument cluster bezel into the tab slots at the lower edge of the instrument panel cluster area, and press the instrument cluster bezel into position.
- Install and tighten the three instrument cluster bezel retaining screws in the holes at the top edge of the instrument cluster bezel.
- Install the function and temperature control cable assemblies on the heater case assembly.
- Test the system for proper operation.
See Figure 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Snap the control opening finish panel away from the instrument panel.
- Remove the 4 control panel assembly-to-instrument panel screws.
- Pull the control panel assembly towards you.
- Disconnect the wiring from the panel connectors.
- Disconnect the vacuum harness and the temperature control cable from the control panel.
- If necessary, pull the control knobs off their shafts.
- Push the control knobs onto their shafts, if removed.
- Connect the temperature control cable to the control panel assembly.
- Connect the wire connector and vacuum harness to the control panel assembly.
If so equipped, push on the vacuum harness retaining nuts; do not try to screw them on!
- Position the control panel assembly in the instrument panel opening and install the 4 screws.
- Install the control opening finish panel by snapping it into place.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the system for proper operation.