REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Unbolt the flexible coupling from the steering input shaft.
- Disengage the safety strap and bolt from the flexible coupling.
- Disconnect the transmission shift rod from the control selector lever.
Column-type automatic transmission linkage uses oil-impregnated plastic grommets to connect the rods and levers. Whenever a grommet-type connection is changed, the grommets should be replaced.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering column trim shrouds.
- Remove the steering column cover.
- Remove the hood release lever.
- Disconnect all electrical and vacuum connections at the column.
- Loosen the 4 nuts securing the column to the brake pedal support bracket, allowing the column to be lowered enough to access the selector lever cable and cable. Do not lower the column too far or damage to the lever and/or cable will occur!
- Reach between the column and instrument panel and gently lift off the selector cable from the pin on the lever.
- Remove the cable clamp from the steering column tube.
- Remove the 4 dust boot-to-dash panel screws.
- Remove the 4 nuts attaching the column to the brake pedal support.
- Lower the column to clear the 4 mounting bolts and pull the column out.
- Position the column in the car.
- Install the column collar-to-brake pedal support nuts loosely.
- Install the selector cable clamp loosely.
- Attach the cable to the lever pin.
- Tighten the 4 column-to-brake pedal support nuts to 20-37 ft. lbs. (27-50 Nm).
- Move the shift selector to the DRIVE position, against the drive stop. Rotate the selector bracket clockwise or counterclockwise until the selector pointer in the cluster centers on the letter D. Tighten the bracket nut.
- Connect the electrical and vacuum connectors.
- Install the safety strap and bolt on the flange on the steering input flange.
- Install the 2 nuts connecting the steering shaft to the flexible coupling. Tighten the nuts to 20-30 ft. lbs. (27-41 Nm). The safety strap must be properly positioned to avoid metal-to-metal contact. The flexible coupling must not be distorted when the nuts are tightened. Pry the shaft up or down to allow a plus or minus 1 / 8 in. (3mm) insulator flatness.
- Connect the shift rod to the shift lever on the lower end of the steering column. Make sure the grommet is replaced.
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal. Adjust the shift linkage.