REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise the rear of the vehicle and position safety stands.
- Remove the fuel tank drain plug and drain the fuel into a suitable container.
- Disconnect the fuel gauge sending unit wire at the sending unit.
- Loosen the hose clamp, slide the clamp forward, and disconnect the fuel line at the fuel gauge sending unit.
- Disconnect the fuel tank vent hose at the tank, if so equipped.
If the fuel gauge sending unit is to be removed, turn the unit retaining ring counterclockwise and remove the sending unit retaining ring and gasket.
- Remove the spare tire from the luggage compartment. Pull the compartment floor mat out of the way for access to the fuel tank.
- Remove the fuel tank filler neck retaining screws.
- Loosen the filler neck to tank hose clamps. Remove the filler neck, mounting gasket, and filler neck-to-tank hose.
- Remove the fuel tank-to-luggage compartment floor pan retaining screws and remove the fuel tank.
On cars so equipped, the orifice vapor separator of the evaporative emission control system is removed and installed in the same manner as the fuel gauge sending unit.To install:
- Make sure all the old sealer has been removed from the fuel tank mounting flange and mounting surface at the luggage compartment floor pan. Apply caulking cord to the fuel tank mounting surface at the luggage compartment floor pan.
- Position the fuel tank to the luggage compartment floor pan and install the retaining screws.
- Position the hose and filler neck assembly and gasket to the body back panel. Position the hose to the fuel tank neck.
- Install the filler neck-to-body back panel retaining screws and tighten the hose clamps.
- If the fuel gauge sending unit was removed, make sure all the old O-ring material has been removed from the unit mounting surface on the fuel tank. Using a new gasket, position the fuel gauge to the fuel tank and secure it with the retaining ring.
- Position the luggage compartment floor mat and install the spare tire.
- Connect the fuel gauge sending unit wire to the sending unit.
- Connect the fuel line at the fuel gauge sending unit and tighten the hose clamps securely. Install the drain plug.
- Connect the fuel tank vent hose, if so equipped.
- Remove the safety stands and lower the vehicle.
- Fill the tank and check all connections for leaks.