REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 10
- Drain the cooling system.
- On the 351 C, disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On cars with power steering, remove the drive belt. On models with 390, 427, or 428 engines, remove the power steering mounting retaining screws and remove the pump and bracket as an assembly and position it out of the way.
- If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, remove the idler pulley bracket and the air conditioner drive belt.
- On engines with Thermactor controls, remove the belt; on 1968 models, remove the pump.
- Disconnect the lower radiator hose and heater hose from the water pump.
- On cars equipped with a fan shroud, remove the retaining screws and position the shroud rearward.
- Remove the fan and spacer from the engine, and if the car is equipped with a fan shroud, remove the fan and shroud from the engine as an assembly.
- Loosen the alternator mounting bolts, remove the alternator belt, and remove the alternator adjusting arm bracket from the water pump.
- Loosen the bypass hose at the water pump.
- Remove the water pump retaining screws and the pump from the engine.
- Clean any gasket material from the pump mounting surface and, on the 429 V8, remove the water pump backing plate and replace the gasket.
The 250 CI six-cylinder engines originally used a one-piece gasket for the cylinder front cover and water pump. Trim away the old gasket at the edge of the cylinder cover and replace with service gasket.
- Remove the heater hose fitting from the old pump and install it on the new pump.
- Coat both sides of the new gasket with a water-resistant sealer, then reinstall the pump reversing the above procedure.