REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1970-1972 390, 427, 428 Engines
- Remove the oil pan and, if required, the oil pump.
- Loosen all main bearing caps allowing the crankshaft to lower slightly.
The crankshaft should not be allowed to drop more than1/32inch.
- Remove the rear main bearing cap and the seal from the cap and block.
- Carefully clean the seal grooves in the cap and block with solvent.
- Soak the new seal halves in clean engine oil.
- Install the upper half of the seal in the block with the undercut side of the seal toward the front of the engine. Slide the seal around the crankshaft journal until 3 / 8 inch protrudes beyond the base of the block.
- Repeat, the above procedure on the lower seal, allowing an equal length of the seal to protrude beyond the opposite end of the bearing cap.
- Install the rear bearing cap and tighten all main bearings to specifications. Apply sealer only to the rear of the seals.
- Dip the bearing cap side seals in oil, then immediately install them. Do not use any sealer on the side seals. Tap the seals into place and do not clip the protruding ends.
- Install the oil pump and pan. Fill the crankcase with oil, start the engine check for leaks.
All Other Engines
The manufacturer recommends the removal of the engine and the crankshaft to replace the seals. An aftermarket tool is available to replace some of these seals with the engine in the car.