REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
6 Cylinder Engines
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Remove the air cleaner and heat duct body.
- Disconnect the muffler inlet pipe and remove the choke hot air tube from the manifold.
- Bend the exhaust manifold attaching bolt locktabs back, then remove the bolts and the manifold.
- Clean all manifold mating surfaces and place a new gasket on the muffler inlet pipe.
- Reinstall the manifold by reversing the above procedure, torque the attaching bolts in sequence from the centermost bolt outward.
- On the right exhaust manifold, remove the air cleaner, automatic choke heat tube, and air cleaner heat ducts.
- If necessary tag and remove the spark plug wires.
- Remove the heat shield if equipped.
- Disconnect the exhaust manifold(s) from the muffler inlet pipe(s).
- Remove the manifold attaching bolts and remove the manifold(s).
- Reverse the above procedure to reinstall, using new inlet pipe gaskets.
- Torque the exhaust manifold retaining bolts to specifications (see Torque Specifications table).
To remove the left side exhaust manifold from a car equipped with a 351 C engine, it is necessary to remove the oil filter and the transmission selector cross-shaft or clutch linkage and equalizer shaft bracket, depending on the transmission-type.
428 CJ and 428 SCJ Engines
This procedure is for removing both manifolds. If only one manifold is to be removed, do not remove any equipment located on or near the opposite side of the engine.
- Remove the air cleaner, heat tubes, choke, and vacuum lines from the manifold.
- Remove the air cleaner heat tube mounting studs and the three forward attaching bolts from the right-side manifold.
- Raise the car on a hoist and remove the idler arm bracket from the frame.
- Disconnect the starter cable and remove the starter motor.
- Remove the remaining right-side manifold attaching bolts.
- Disconnect all exhaust system hangers and lower the exhaust system.
- Remove the inlet pipes from the manifolds.
- On vehicles with a manual transmission, remove the clutch linkage and equalizer bracket from the engine.
- Disconnect the pitman arm from the steering sector shaft and, on vehicles with power steering, remove the steering control valve bracket from the frame.
- Lower the car, disconnect the steering shaft flex joint, and unbolt and remove the steering gear box assembly from the frame.
- Raise the car again, and disconnect then remove both motor mounts and the rear crossmember support attaching bolts.
- Position a jack under the engine. Using a piece of wood under the oil pan, raise the engine slightly.
- Remove the remaining manifold attaching bolts and remove the manifolds.
- Clean all gasket surfaces. Using new inlet pipe gaskets, reverse the above procedure to reinstall the manifolds.
- Torque the exhaust manifold retaining bolts to specifications.
Boss 429 Engines
- Remove the battery ground cable.
- Remove the valve covers.
- Disconnect the Thermactor air manifolds from the check valves.
- Remove the air manifolds from the exhaust manifolds.
- With the car on a hoist, remove the eight exhaust manifold attaching bolts and disconnect the muffler inlet pipes.
- Disconnect the clutch linkage and equalizer bracket from the engine.
- Work the manifolds rearward and remove them through the engine compartment.
- Clean all gasket surfaces and install new gaskets on the muffler inlet pipes.
- Reinstall the manifold, working them into position from under the vehicle.
- Tighten the manifold retaining bolts, working from the middle of the manifold toward the ends.