REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 7
- Drain the crankcase and remove the oil pan. Remove the oil baffle tray if so equipped.
- Drain the cooling system and remove the cylinder head or heads.
- Remove any ridge and/or deposits from the upper end of the cylinder bores with a ridge reamer.
- Check the rods and pistons for identification numbers and, if necessary, number them.
- Remove the connecting rod cap nuts and caps. Push the rods away from the crankshaft and install the caps and nuts loosely to their respective rods.
- Push the piston and rod assemblies up and out of the cylinders.
- Lightly coat the pistons, rings, and cylinder walls with light engine oil.
- With the bearing caps removed, install pieces of protective rubber hose on the bearing cap bolts.
- Install each piston in its respective bore, using thread guards on each assembly. Guide the rod bearing into place on the crankcase journal.
- Remove the thread guards from connecting rods and install the lower half of the bearing and cap. Check clearances.
- Install the oil pan.
- Install the cylinder head.
- Refill the crankcase and cooling system.
- Start the engine, bring it to operating temperature, and check for leaks.