- Raise the front of the car and remove the wheel and tire assembly.
The jackstands must be placed beneath the lower control arms.
- Remove the suspension bumper and bracket assembly.
- Remove the shock absorber and mounting bracket assembly. Then install one bolt to hold the spring upper seat to the spring housing while the spring is being compressed.
- Compress the spring with a suitable spring compressor.
- Remove the bolt holding the spring upper seat and allow the control arm to drop down slightly to gain clearance.
- Remove the spring and compressor from the car as a unit.
See Figure 1
- Raise the hood and remove the shock absorber upper mounting bracket bolts.
- Raise the front of vehicle and place safety stands under the inboard ends of the lower control arms.
- Remove the shock absorber lower attaching nuts, washers, and insulators.
- Lift the shock absorber and upper bracket from the spring tower.
- Remove the wheel cover or hub cap.
- Remove the grease cap, cotter pin, nut lock, adjusting nut, and outer bearing.
- Pull the wheel, tire, and hub and drum off the spindle as an assembly.
- Install the spring compressor.
- Compress the spring until all tension is removed from the control arms.
- Remove the two upper control arm attaching nuts and swing the control arm out board.
- Release the spring compressor and remove it.
- Remove the spring.
- Position the spring and compressor tool assembly in the spring housing with the end of the bottom coil bearing making contact with the punched end of the recess in the spring lower seat. Secure the spring upper seat to the top of the spring housing with two bolts and washers. Release the spring pressure.
- Remove the two bolts and washers securing the spring upper seat to the spring housing. Remove the spring compressor. Install the spring mounting retainer over the bottom coil of the spring so that the retainer holes align with the shock absorber lower retaining bolt holes in the spring lower seat.
- Place the shock absorber and upper mounting bracket assembly in the car. The lower retaining bolts of the shock absorber fit through the holes in the small retaining plate and the spring lower seat.
- Install the shock absorber lower retaining nuts. Position the bracket-to-dash panel brace to the wide leg of the shock absorber mounting bracket, then install the upper mounting bracket retaining bolts and washers. Install the suspension bumper and bracket assembly with the retaining bolts and washers, and tighten to 10-15 ft. lbs. Torque the upper mounting bracket retaining bolts to 36-46 ft. lbs.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly, and lower the vehicle.
- Place the upper spring insulator on the spring and secure it in place with tape.
- Position the spring in the spring tower and compress it with a spring compressor.
- Swing the upper control arm in board and install the attaching nuts. Torque the nuts to 75-100 ft. lbs.
- Release the spring pressure and guide the spring into the upper arm spring seat. The end of the spring must not be more than 1 / 2 inch from the tab on the spring seat.
- Remove the spring compressor and position the wheel, tire, and hub and drum on the spindle.
- Install the bearing, washer, and adjusting nut.
- On cars with disc brakes, loosen the adjusting nut three turns and rock the wheel hub and rotor assembly in and out to push the disc brakes, loosen the adjusting nut three turns and rock the wheel hub and rotor assembly in and out to push the disc brake pads away from the rotor.
- While rotating the wheel, hub, and drum assembly, torque the adjusting nut to 17-25 ft. lbs. to seat the bearing.
- With a 1 1 / 8 inch box wrench, back off the adjusting nut 1 / 2 turn and tighten the nut to 10-15 inch lbs. or finger-tight.
- Position the lock on the adjusting nut and install the new cotter pin. Bend the ends of the pin around the castellated flange of the nut lock.
- Check the front wheel rotation and install the grease cap and hub cap.
- Install the shock absorber and upper bracket assembly, making sure the shock absorber lower studs have insulators and are in the pivot plate holes.
- Install the nuts and washers on the lower studs and tighten them to 8-12 ft. lbs. on 1970 and later models and 12-17 ft. lbs. on 1966-1969 models.
- Install the nuts on the shock absorber bracket and tighten them to 20-28 ft. lbs.
- Remove the safetystands and lower the vehicle.