- Raise the vehicle on a hoist or floor jack so that the front wheels hang in the full down position.
- Have an assistant grasp the wheel top and bottom and apply alternate in and out pressure to the top and bottom of the wheel.
- Radial play of 1 / 4 inch is acceptable measured at the inside of the wheel adjacent to the upper arm.
This radial play measurement is multiplied at the outer circumference of the tire and should not be measured here. Measure only at the inside of the wheel.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Position the support between the upper arm and frame rail.
- Raise the vehicle and remove the tire and wheel.
- Remove the upper ball joint cotter pin and loosen the nut.
- Using a suitable tool, loosen the ball joint in the spindle.
- Remove the three ball joint retaining rivets using a large chisel.
- Remove the nut from the ball joint stud and remove the ball joint.
- Clean and remove all burrs from the ball joint mounting area of the control arm before installing a new ball joint.
- Install the ball joint in the upper arm using the service part nuts and bolts. Do not attempt to rivet a new ball joint to the arm.
- Install and torque the ball joint stud nut and install the cotter pin.
- Lubricate the new joint with a hand type grease gun.
- Install the wheel, lower the vehicle, and remove the upper arm support.
- Check front end alignment.