REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the car. Remove the boot retainer and the shift lever.
- Disconnect the driveshaft at the rear universal joint and remove the driveshaft.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable at the transmission extension. On cars with the Transmission-Regulated Spark, disconnect the lead wire at the connector.
- Disconnect the gear shift rods from the transmission shift levers. If car is equipped with a four-speed, remove the bolts that secure the shift control bracket to the extension housing.
- Remove the bolt holding the extension housing to the rear support, and remove the muffler inlet pipe bracket-to-housing bolt.
- Remove the two rear support bracket insulator nuts from the underside of the crossmember. Remove the crossmember.
- Place a jack (equipped with a protective piece of wood) under the rear of the engine oil pan. Raise the engine, slightly.
- Remove the transmission-to-flywheel housing bolts.
On 429 cu in. engines the upper left-hand transmission attaching bolt is a seal bolt. Carefully note its position so that it may be reinstalled in its original position.
- Slide the transmission back and out of the car.
- Start the transmission extension housing up and over the rear support. After moving the transmission back just far enough for the pilot shaft to clear the clutch housing, move it upward and into position on the transmission guide studs.
- Move the transmission forward and place it against the flywheel housing.
- Remove the guide studs and attach the transmission with a torque of 37-42 ft. lbs. on all cars except 1964-66 models with six-cylinder engines and four-speed transmissions. Tighten 1964-66 six-cylinder, four-speed cars to 40-45 ft. lbs.
- Position the crossmember into the frame, and install the retaining bolts. Lower the engine onto the crossmember.
- Install and torque the insulator-to-crossmember nuts to 25-35 ft. lbs. on all 1964-69 vehicles except 1968-69 390, 427, and 428 CJ models. Tighten the 1968-69 390, 427, and 428 CJ models to 30-42 ft. lbs. Tighten the 1970-73 models to 25-35 ft. lbs.
- Connect the gear shift rods and the speedometer cable. Install the gearshift lever and boot retainer. On cars with TRS, connect the lead wire at the transmission.
- Hook up the driveshaft.
- Refill the transmission to the proper level.