REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Removable Carrier Type
See Figure 1
- Remove the carrier assembly from the housing.
- Position safety stands under the rear frame members.
- Disengage the brake line from the clips that retain the line to the axle housing.
- Disconnect the vent tube from the housing.
- Remove the carrier plate assemblies from the housing, and support them with wire. Do not disconnect the brake line.
- Disconnect the rear shocks from the spring clip plate and position them out of the way.
- Lower the rear axle slightly. At each rear spring, remove the U-bolt nuts, spring clips, and spring clips plate. Remove the spring lower insulator and retainer.
- Remove the axle housing from under the vehicle.
- Position the axle housing on the rear springs.
- Install the U-bolt spring clip plate and nuts. Tighten the spring clip nuts evenly.
- If a new housing is being installed, remove the bolts that retain the carrier plate and bearing retainer from the old housing flanges. Position the bolts in the new housing flanges to hold the carrier plates into position. Install the carrier plate and new gaskets to the housing flanges.
- Connect the vent tube to the housing.
- Position the brake line to the housing and secure it with the retaining clips.
- Raise the axle housing and springs enough to allow connecting the rear shocks to the spring clip plates. Connect the lower stud of each shock to its spring clip plate, then install the bushing, washer and nut on the stud.
Be sure the spring clip is free of burrs, tighten the nut.
- Install the carrier assembly and the axle shaft assemblies in the housing.