REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Integral Carrier Type
- Raise and support the vehicle with safety stands under the rear frame member.
- Drain the rear axle housing.
- Disconnect the drive shaft from the pinion flange.
- Separate the lower portions of the shock absorbers.
- Remove the rear wheels, drums and both axle shafts.
- Remove the vent hose front vent tube, then the vent tube from the brake junction tube and axle housing.
- Remove the T fitting from the axle housing. Do not open the lines. Remove the brake line from the retaining clip on the axle housing.
- Remove both of the axle shaft seals.
- Remove both brake carrier plates from the axle housing and suspend them above the housing with wire. The brake lines and parking brake cables should still be attached to the carrier plates.
- Support the rear axle housing with a jack, then remove the spring clip nuts. Remove the spring clip plates.
- Lower the axle housing and remove it from under the vehicle.
- If the axle housing is being replaced, transfer all of the differential and pinion consonants to the new housing.
- Raise the axle housing into position so that the spring clip plates can be installed. Tighten the spring clip nuts to 13-20 ft. lbs.
- Place the carrier plates in their normal position on the axle housing. Using new gaskets on each side of the brake carrier plates.
- Install new seals to the axle shafts using a seal installer tool. Soak the new seals in light weight engine oil for about a 1 / 2 hour before installing them.
Installing the seals without the proper tool can distort the seal and cause damage.
- Coat the outer side edges of the seals with a hardening type of sealer such as Permatex No. 2 or its equivalent.
- Install the axle shafts, drums and wheels.
- Attach the brake line T fitting to the axle housing, then secure the line in its retainer on the axle housing.
- Install the vent tube junction and vent hose to the tube.
- Raise the axle housing and attach the shock absorbers.
- Connect the drive shaft at the pinion shaft.
- Fill the axle with the correct type fluid.
- Road test the vehicle.