REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Before removing the nozzle assemblies, clean the exterior of each nozzle assembly and the surrounding area with clean fuel oil or solvent to prevent entry of dirt into the engine when nozzle assemblies are removed. Also, clean the fuel inlet and fuel leak-off piping connections. Blow dry with compressed air.
- Remove the fuel line retaining clamp(s) from the nozzle lines that are to be removed.
- Disconnect the nozzle fuel inlet (high pressure) and fuel leak-off tees from each nozzle assembly and position out of the way. Cover the open ends of the fuel inlet and outlet or nozzles with protective caps, to prevent dirt from entering.
- Remove the injection nozzles by turning them counterclockwise. Pull the nozzle assembly, with the copper washer attached, from the engine. Cover the nozzle fuel opening and spray tip, with plastic caps, to prevent the entry of dirt.
Remove the copper injector nozzle gasket from the nozzle bore with special tool, T71P-19703-C, or equivalent, whenever the gasket does not come out with the nozzle.
- Place the nozzle assemblies in a fabricated holder as they are removed from the heads. The holder should be marked with numbers corresponding to the cylinder numbering of the engine. This will allow for reinstallation of the nozzle in the same ports from which they were removed.
- Thoroughly clean the nozzle bore in cylinder head before reinserting the nozzle assembly with nozzle seat cleaner, special tool T83T-9527-A or equivalent. Make certain that no small particles of metal or carbon remain on the seating surface. Blow out the particles with compressed air.
- Remove the protective cap and install a new copper gasket on the nozzle assembly, with a small dab of grease.
Anti-seize compound or equivalent should be used on nozzle threads to aid in installation and future removal.
- Install the nozzle assembly into the cylinder head nozzle bore.
- Tighten the nozzle assembly to 33 ft.lb.
- Remove the protective caps from nozzle assemblies and fuel lines.
- Install the leak-off tees to the nozzle assemblies.
Install two new O-ring seals for each fuel return tee.
- Connect the high pressure fuel line and tighten, using a flare nut wrench.
- Install the fuel line retainer clamps.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.