There has been some problem with leakage in early Dana axles due to porosity, sand holes or small cracks. This type of leakage can be repaired with metallic plastic epoxy as follows:
- Clean the surface to be repaired by grinding to a bright metal surface. Chamfer or undercut the hole or porosity to a greater depth than the surrounding area. Solid metal must surround the hole. Openings larger than 1 / 4 inch; (6.35mm) must be repaired using a threaded plug.
- Mix the epoxy as directed on the container.
- Apply the repair mixture with a clean tool.
- Allow the repair mixture to harden by drying with a heat lamp placed 12 inch; (305mm) from the surface for 5 minutes or by air drying at above 50°F for 3-4 hours.
- Grind the area to blend with the surroundings.