REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 6
For this job you'll need a torque wrench with a capacity of at least 600 ft.lb.
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Remove the axle shafts.
- Alternately and evenly remove the 4 bolts that retain the spindle cap to the knuckle. This will relieve spring tension.
- When spring tension is relieved, remove the bolts.
- Remove the spindle cap, compression spring and retainer. Discard the gasket.
- Remove the 4 bolts securing the lower kingpin and retainer to the knuckle. Remove the lower kingpin and retainer.
- Remove the tapered bushing from the top of the upper kingpin.
- Remove the knuckle from the axle yoke.
- Remove the upper kingpin from the axle yoke with a piece of 7 / 8 inch; hex-shaped case hardened metal bar stock, or, with a 7 / 8 inch; hex socket. Discard the upper kingpin and seal.
The upper kingpin is tightened to 500-600 ft.lb.
- Using a 2-jawed puller and step plate, press out the lower kingpin grease retainer, bearing cup, bearing and seal from the axle yoke lower bore. Discard the grease seal and retainer, and the lower bearing cup.
- Coat the mating surfaces of a new lower kingpin grease retainer with RTV silicone sealer.
- Install the retainer in the axle yoke bore so that the concave portion of the retainer faces the upper kingpin.
- Using a bearing driver, drive a new bearing cup in the lower kingpin bore until it bottoms against the grease retainer.
- Pack the lower kingpin bearing and the yoke bore with waterproof wheel bearing grease.
- Using a driver, drive a new seal into the lower kingpin bore.
- Install a new seal and upper kingpin into the yoke using tool T86T-3110-AH. Tighten the kingpin to 500-600 ft.lb.
- Install the knuckle on the yoke.
- Place the tapered bushing over the upper kingpin in the knuckle bore.
- Place the lower kingpin and retainer in the knuckle and axle yoke. Install the 4 bolts and tighten them, alternately and evenly, to 90 ft.lb.
- Place the retainer and compression spring on the tapered bushing.
- Install a new gasket on the knuckle. Position the spindle cap on the gasket and knuckle. Install the 4 bolts and tighten them, alternately and evenly, to 90 ft.lb.
- Install the axle shafts and lubricate the upper kingpin through the zerk fitting and the lower fitting through the flush fitting. The lower fitting may be lubricated with Alemite adapter #6783, or equivalent.