REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 7
Quick-Connect (push) type fittings must be disconnected using proper procedures or the fitting may be damaged. Two types of retainers are used on the push connect fittings. Line sizes of3/8inch; and5/16inch; use a hairpin clip retainer.1/4inch; line connectors use a Duck bill clip retainer.Hairpin Clip
- Clean all dirt and/or grease from the fittings. Spread the two clip legs about an 1 / 8 inch; each to disengage from the fitting and pull the clip outward from the fitting. Use finger pressure only, do not use any tools.
- Grasp the fittings and hose assembly and pull away from the steel line. Twist the fitting and hose assembly slightly while pulling, if necessary, when a sticking condition exists.
- Inspect the hairpin clip for damage, replace the clip if necessary. Reinstall the clip in position on the fitting.
- Inspect the fitting and inside of the connector to insure freedom from dirt or obstruction. Install fitting into the connector and push together. A click will be heard when the hairpin snaps into proper connection. Pull on the line to insure full engagement.
- A special tool is available for Ford for removing the retaining clip (Ford Tool No. T82L-9500-AH). If the tool is not available see Step 2. Align the slot on the push connector disconnect tool with either tab on the retaining clip. Pull the line from the connector.
- If the special clip tool is not available, use a pair of narrow 6 inch; locking pliers with a jaw width of 0.2 inch; or less. Align the jaws of the pliers with the openings of the fitting case and compress the part of the retaining clip that engages the case. Compressing the retaining clip will release the fitting which may be pulled from the connector. Both sides of the clip must be compressed at the same time to disengage.
- Inspect the retaining clip, fitting end and connector. Replace the clip if any damage is apparent.
- Push the line into the steel connector until a click is heard, indicating the clip is in place. Pull on the line to check engagement.