REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 9
An FS-6 6-cylinder axial compressor is standard on air conditioned Bronco and F-Series pickups. The 6E171 6-cylinder axial compressor is optional on the Bronco. The removal and installation procedures for both are identical.
- Discharge the refrigerant system. See ROUTINE MAINTENANCE for the proper procedure.
- Disconnect the two refrigerant lines from the compressor. Cap the openings immediately!
- Remove tension from the drive belt. Remove the belt
- Disconnect the clutch wire at the connector.
- Remove the bolt attaching the support brace to the front brace and the nut attaching the support brace to the intake manifold. Remove the support brace.
- Remove the two bolts attaching the rear support to the bracket.
- Remove the bolt attaching the compressor tab to the front brace and the two bolts attaching the compressor front legs to the bracket.
- Remove the compressor.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Use new O-rings coated with clean refrigerant oil at all fittings. New, replacement compressors contain 10 oz. of refrigerant oil. Prior to installation, pour off 4 oz. of oil. This will maintain the oil charge in the system. Evacuate, charge and leak test the system.