REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1976-79 Pick-ups and 1978-79 Bronco
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the windshield wiper arms.
- Remove the rearview mirror and bracket.
- Remove interior retaining brackets.
- Loosen the weatherstrip around the windshield opening.
- Have a helper sit in the vehicle, place his/her feet against the top of the windshield and gently, but firmly push outward while you support the glass, while wearing gloves.
- Remove the mouldings, if so equipped, from the weatherstrip.
- Remove the weatherstrip from the glass.
- Clean the glass and or weatherstrip of all the old sealer if either is to be reused.
- Clean the windshield opening flange of all the old sealer or other material.
- Apply sealer to the windshield opening flange.
- Position the weatherstrip on the windshield glass.
- Reinstall the mouldings.
- Install a draw cord in the pinch weld opening of the weatherstrip all around the weatherstrip. Overlap the cord about 18 inches at the lower center of the glass. tape the ends of the cord to the inside of the glass.
- Coat the weatherstrip mounting surfaces with a solution of mild soap and water. Position the mouldings on the weatherstrip.
- With an assistant applying hand pressure to the outside of the windshield. pull the draw cord from the inside to pull the lip of the weatherstrip over the windshield opening flange. Draw the weatherstrip lip over the lower flange, each side of the flange, and then over the upper flange.
- Apply sealer around the opening.
- Install the rear view mirror and bracket.
- Clean the glass and the surrounding area.
- Install the wiper arms and blades.
- Reinstall the interior retainers.
See Figures 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
You'll need Windshield Installation Kit E0AZ-19562-A, or equivalent urethane installation kit, and a helper.
- Remove the windshield wiper arms.
- Remove all windshield exterior mouldings and retainers.
- Using a electric knife, T70P-42006-A or equivalent, insert the blade under the edge of the glass. Cut the butyl seal as close to the inside surface of the glass as possible. Wear gloves. Have your helper sit in the vehicle, place his/her feet against the top of the windshield and gently, but firmly push outward while you support the glass.
- Temporarily position the replacement glass in the windshield opening using spacers to prevent glass to metal contact.
Adjust glass side to side to the best glass-to-A-pillar weld flange overlap position and adjust the lower spacers if necessary for proper positioning at the top. A minimum butyl tap-to-glass contact of 3 / 16 inch (4.8mm) on A-pillar, 3 / 8 inch (9.5mm) on header and cowl is required around the perimeter to assure proper retention and a waterproof seal. Mark this location with a crayon on the outside surface of the glass and a corresponding point of the glass opening. Remove the glass and clean the inside surface thoroughly.To install:
- Start at the side of the glass opposite the original butyl splice and place the 5 / 16 inch (8mm) butyl furnished in the kit on the top of and in a position that assures the 3 / 16 inch (4.8mm) minimum contact with the glass on the existing butyl remaining on the pinch weld flange.
Do not allow the new butyl to overhang the edge of the existing butyl and do not stretch the butyl or bridge the corners of the windshield opening.
- Carefully splice the two loose ends of the new butyl. The cut line of the splice must taper downward toward the outboard side of the vehicle.
- Using a clean brush, apply the glass primer (supplied with the kit) around the cleaned inside surface and the edge of the glass in the area that will contact the butyl seal. Allow at least 5 minutes drying time.
- Place the glass in the opening aligning the crayon marks.
- Firmly press the glass against the butyl with hand pressure and check to assure that the 3 / 16 inch (4.8mm) contact between glass and butyl is achieved. A dull spot indicates an area where the butyl is not contacting the glass surface. Apply additional pressure to seal these areas.
- From outside the vehicle, apply liquid butyl sealer around the entire edge of the glass.
- When the liquid sealer has has skinned over in approximately ten minutes, water test the installation.
- Install the moldings and wiper arms.