Except 4-Speed Overdrive
See Figure 1
- Place the shifter in the Neutral position and insert a 3 / 16 inch; (4.8mm) gauge pin diameter through the steering column shift levers and the locating hole in the spacer.
- If the shift rods at the transmission are equipped with threaded sleeves, adjust the sleeves so that they enter the shift levers on the transmission easily with the shift levers in the Neutral position. Now lengthen the rods seven turns of the sleeves and insert them into the shift levers.
- If the shift rods are slotted, loosen the attaching nut, make sure that the transmission shift levers are in the Neutral position, then retighten the attaching nuts.
- Remove the gauge pin and check the operation of the shift linkage.
See Figure 2
- Attach the shift rods to the levers.
- Rotate the output shaft to determine that the transmission is in neutral.
- Insert an alignment pin into the shift control assembly alignment hole.
- Attach the slotted end of the shift rods over the flats of the studs in the shift control assembly.
- Install the locknuts and remove the alignment pin.