REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the vehicle and install jackstands under the frame. The vehicle must be supported in such a way that the rear axle hangs free with the tire a few inches off the ground. Place a hydraulic floor jack under the center of the axle housing.
- Disconnect the shock absorber from the axle.
- Remove the U-bolt attaching nuts and remove the two U-bolts and the spring clip plate.
- Lower the axle to relieve the spring tension and remove the nut from the spring front attaching bolt.
- Remove the spring front attaching bolt from the spring and hanger with a drift.
- Remove the nut from the shackle-to-hanger attaching bolt and drive the bolt from the shackle and hanger with a drift and remove the spring from the vehicle.
- Remove the nut from the spring rear attaching bolt. Drive the bolt out of the spring and shackle with a drift.
- Position the shackle (closed section facing toward the front of the vehicle) to the spring rear eye and install the bolt and nut.
- Position the spring front eye and bushing to the spring front hanger, and install the attaching bolt and nut.
- Position the spring rear eye and bushing to the shackle, and install the attaching bolt and nut.
- Raise the axle to the spring and install the U-bolts and spring clip plate.
- Torque the U-bolt nuts and spring front and rear attaching bolt nuts to 45-60 ft.lb.
- Remove the jackstands and lower the vehicle.
Squeaky rear springs can be corrected by tightening the front and rear eye bolts to 150-204 ft.lb., then raising and supporting the rear of the vehicle so that the rear springs hang, spreading the leaves. Apply a silicone based lubricant for a distance of 3 inch; (76mm) in from each leaf tip.1980-86
- Raise the vehicle by the frame until the weight is off the rear spring with the tires still on the floor.
- Remove the nuts from the spring U-bolts and drive the U-bolts from the U-bolt plate. Remove the auxiliary spring and spacer, if so equipped.
- Remove the spring-to-bracket nut and bolt at the front of the spring.
- Remove the upper and lower shackle nuts and bolts at the rear of the spring and remove the spring and shackle assembly from the rear shackle bracket.
- Remove the bushings in the spring or shackle, if they are worn or damaged, and install new ones.
When installing the components, snug down the fasteners. Don't apply final torque to the fasteners until the vehicle is back on the ground.
- Position the spring in the shackle and install the upper shackle-to-spring nut and bolt with the bolt head facing outward.
- Position the front end of the spring in the bracket and install the nut and bolt.
- Position the shackle in the rear bracket and install the nut and bolt.
- Position the spring on top of the axle with the spring center bolts centered in the hole provided in the seat. Install the auxiliary spring and spacer, if so equipped.
- Install the spring U-bolts, plate and nuts.
- Lower the vehicle to the floor and tighten the attaching hardware the specifications shown in the Torque Chart at the end of this Section.