Refer to Inspection under Upper Ball Joint in this section.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
F-250HD/SD and F-350
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the front brake caliper assembly and support it from the body way with wire. Do not disconnect the brake line or allow the caliper to hang on the brake line.
- Remove the brake rotor/hub assembly.
- Remove the wheel spindle or steering knuckle assembly with the ball joints attached.
- Place the spindle/knuckle assembly in a suitable vise.
- Remove the lower ball joint. This is required to access the upper ball joint.
- Remove the snap-ring from the upper ball joint.
- Install U-Joint Remover T74P-4635-C and Receiver Cup D81T-3010-A or equivalents, on the upper ball joint. Turn the forcing screw clockwise until the upper ball joint is pressed out of the spindle/knuckle assembly.
- Place the new upper ball joint to the spindle/knuckle assembly and install U-Joint Remover T74P-4635-C, Receiver Cup D81T-3010-A5 and Installation Cup D81T-3010-A1, or equivalents. Turn the forcing screw clockwise until the upper ball joint is seated.
- Install the snap-ring onto the upper ball joint.
- Install the lower ball joint.
- Remove the spindle/knuckle assembly from the vise and install to the axle arm.
- Install the brake rotor/hub assembly.
- Install the front brake caliper assembly.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Pump the brake pedal several times to position the brake pads before moving the vehicle.
- Check the alignment and adjust if not within specification.
- Road test the vehicle and check for proper operation.
The lower ball joint is an integral part of the lower control arm and is not a serviceable component. Replacement of the ball joint requires replacing the lower control arm.